Tipp Mid-West Radio, St. Michael’s Street, Tipperary Town is seeking applications for the position of Current Affairs Presenter / News Reader
This is a FULL-TIME position (39 hours per week) – Monday to Friday each week.
- This position involves presenting and researching guests and material for the “Morning Call” current affairs radio programme 4 days per week (Monday to Friday).
- This is a live programme, and the successful candidate will present the programme from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. each day.
- The successful candidate would also be required to provide & broadcast news bulletins on the hour from 8 a.m.
- The job is based at Tipp Mid-West Radio studios, at the above address.
- Presenting the “Morning Call” current affairs programme live on air, 4 days per week – Monday to Thursday (10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Researching topics and current affairs issues at local and national level and ensuring that each programme has sufficient material to cover the programme sufficiently.
- Organising guests to discuss a wide range of topics which would be of interest to our listenership.
- Researching news items and broadcasting news on the hour for bulletins from 8 a.m. (5 days per week – Monday to Friday).
- Ensuring that all broadcasts are in compliance with the rules and standards as set out by both Tipp Mid-West Radio and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (B.A.I.). This involves absolute impartiality on all political and ethical/moral topics discussed on air, as well as ensuring fairness and balance in the programme content.
- Attend local meetings and events which would be considered important for the programme, as part of local interest stories, as required.
- During local and national election / referenda events, the candidate would be required to organise and present special programmes involving chairing debates and discussions with election candidates and the various parties involved in referenda discussions.
This position requires a number of professional and personal attributes including, but not limited to the following:
- Ideally, the successful candidate will have a qualification in Media, Journalism, Politics or a related field.
- Alternatively, candidates should have a keen interest in current affairs, national politics and local politics and should have a good knowledge of the current political landscape, in particular at local level.
- Previous experience in radio and broadcasting is a distinct advantage.
- Candidates should have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Fluency in English is essential.
- Candidates should have a proficient knowledge of I.T. and be able to engage with online research including internet, email and social media.
- Candidates should be happy to research and produce the “Morning Call” programme under their own initiative and should be confident to ensure each daily programme is produced to a high quality. The candidate should be able to work on their own, and under their own initiative to meet the duties of the position. The same criteria apply for news bulletins.
- The candidate should be flexible and able to work to a dead-line, and be prepared for last-minute schedule changes in programme content, due to unforeseen circumstances.
- While the position will mainly at Tipp Mid-West Radio during the aforementioned hours, the candidate should be willing to work outside of those hours / days on occasion. “Time-in-lieu” will operate for work undertaken outside of normal contracted hours.
This position is supported by the Community Services Programme/Department of Rural & Community Development. Candidates from the following categories are welcome to apply: –
(Please see last question in FAQ at the bottom of the page – What are the CSP programme rules on employing CSP funded FTEs from certain specified categories).
How To Apply:
Closing date for applications is by close of business on Friday, 19th June 2020.
Applicants should send a Cover Letter & C.V. to:
OR BY POST TO:
The Manager, Tipp Mid-West Radio, St. Michael’s Street, Tipperary Town
Full Description: Click here for more information
Contact: Click here to send a message.